I glanced down at the sleeve edge of my knitted sweater, something didn’t look right. Investigating further by comparing my two sleeves, I discovered that my left sleeve was beginning to come apart at the seam. This would not do! I must fix this! Perhaps this sweater came with a bit of its cottony yarn. I set off to check my stash of threads, which were in the same drawer as all the extra button packets I’ve been collecting for years.
There was no way I would be able to find the thread quickly in the overstuffed bag I’d been storing everything related to clothes repairs in. The time had come to reorganize this mess.
How many times do you actually use that extra button that comes with your clothes? I must say, rarely is my experience. So, I collected all the button and thread packets and began my search for the thread for my sweater.
I decided to consolidate my buttons into one container. First I attacked all that were in paper. Next came the plastic zip-locked bags. They were a pain to open, so I snipped them with my scissors.
Big buttons, small buttons, colorful buttons, cloth covered buttons, metal buttons, and more rained down into my container. It reminded me of my grandmother’s button tin. I remembered how as a child I loved to run my hands through the buttons. There were a few unique buttons that brought back memories of various shirts or vests. Most of them I puzzled over what clothing item they were once a part of. I discovered that there were several packets of shimmery minuscule beads. Wonder what they were from, I don’t wear much with sparkles.
After an hour of emptying and sorting, I did not find a thread that was a match to my sweater, however, I did find one that would do. Hopefully, my stitching will ward off any further raveling.