What have I witnessed or created that deserves celebration this week? Hmmm, not much has happened. My life was pretty quiet. Each day looked a lot like the previous day.
I would get up, make coffee, sip it while watching the Today Show and enjoy the sunrise colors crawling up the sky. Eventually I made my way back to the bedroom to shower and dress for the day. Warm fleece, stretchy knit pants, cushy socks, and slippers were the uniform of the day, every day. Next stop, my office. Flip on the computer, reread the notes from the previous day and begin clacking the keys to plan for the working days coming up. Watch the world outside my window. Oh look, the chihuahua has escaped and running free with a buddy! Hmmm, FedEx is delivering a box across the street. Wonder what they ordered? Breaks from the computer involve wandering into the kitchen for lunch, or perhaps a snack. Soon it’s time to turn off the computer and turn my attention to dinner. After dinner, I read on the computer, listen to what’s on the TV, chat with my husband while being warmed by the fireplace. Soon it’s time for bed and the day is over.
- I celebrate the ordinary-ness of these days. No frantic rushing about, no panicking that time has run out for preparing my PD days. Each day settles into a comfortable rhythm.
- I celebrate that I have warm, comfy clothing to wear when it is cold.
- I celebrate my home that is warm when temperatures dip low and it is cool when the sun shines a bit too long.
- I celebrate that I have enough to eat and it is not an arduous task to find food or prepare it.
- I celebrate that when I lay my head down to sleep, I can rest. Evil is not sitting outside my door.
Remember the flowers from last week? As they aged, their color changed. It was like having two different sets of flowers. Flowers are always a celebration.
Today, it is the small things I am celebrating.