What’s more interesting to you, learning about subordinating conjunctions OR AAAWWUBBIS? (pronounced ah-whoo-bus -be sure to stretch the sound out) If you said subordinating conjunctions, stop reading now and get a life!
AAAWWUBBIS is a mnemonic device to help kids remember words that are subordinating conjunctions. They are after, although, as, when, while, until, because, before, if , since. If you begin a sentence with one of these words, you will probably need a comma somewhere in your sentence.
Jeff played the song If I Had a Millionaire Dollars by the Barenaked Ladies and we were to complete the sentence. Here are some of my responses:
- If I had a million dollars, I’d travel a lot more.
- If I had a million dollars, I wouldn’t be traveling in economy.
- If I had a million dollars, my husband would be ecstatic.
- If I had a million dollars, I could pay off my son’s college loans.
- If I had a million dollars, dinner would be out more than in.
- If I had a million dollars, I would put a deposit down on a house for my son and his wife.
- If I had a million dollars, I wouldn’t worry about finding what I want on sale.
After creating the list, we had to put a star the one by the one that we had the most to say about. We did a quick free write with the challenge to begin as many sentences as possible with the subordinating conjunctions.
So, if you had a million dollars, what would you do?